3jFPS-control | Keeps good FPS etc. Version 1.26
Change log for version 1.26:
Bug fix: FPS calculation was wrong on some systems (Linux and probably Mac). Many thanks @Yoyoz for finding that bug and also providing the solution!
We’re pleased to host – of course with the approval of Jörn-Jören Jörensön aka 3j – his 3jFPS-control | Keeps good FPS by automatic adaption of view distance and cloud quality version 1.26 lua script for X-Plane 10 and X-Plane 11.
3jFPS-control gives you a smoother flight experience, by trying to keep FPS stable. It works with X-Plane 10.51 (supposedly with all 10.xx versions) and FlyWithLua 2.4.x. May also work with X-Plane 11, try at your own risk!
Please notice the following:
I have made a very advanced version of this plugin called 3jFPS-wizard and I recommend using it instead of this one. It works with RTH (Real Terra Haze) plugin.
If you are already using any auto-LOD plugin (like AUTO_LOD1.3), this plugin would be a replacement (you can’t run both at the same time!) with some extra features:
Changing clouds for some more FPS, very smooth changes of LOD/clouds, graphic FPS display, highly configurable.
It comes with the following features:
- Adapting view distance (LOD) in real time depending on FPS
- Adapting clouds quality in real time (density and puff size) depending on FPS
- All changes are done as smooth as possible, to be rarely noticable
- Choose between 2 nice graphical Display modes or numeric display
- See current FPS, FPS-variation and effect of plugin at a glance
- Manual mode to test effect and find out best settings
- 3 levels of configuration: from fast and easy quick-start to advanced Settings
Are you fiddling around with your rendering settings all the time, because your FPS go to low when there are too many objects around or the weather gets too cloudy?
Well, I was… If you are too, you should try this plugin. For me with my old hardware (2.53GHz Quadcore, 8GB RAM, Geforce GTX 260M, 1GB VRAM) it works very well and lets me concentrate on flying and not FPS.
For a quick start, simply drop the lua-script into your FlyWithLua scripts folder.
Per default, 3jFPS-control tries to keep your FPS at 30. If you usually fly with 40 FPS or even 60, please check the documentation for “Quick start settings” and set your desired FPS.
I have tried to keep the plugin as flexible as possible, because I think for best results it has to be configured very individually, depending on your hardware and your personal taste. I hope the documentation is not too confusing! (I’m afraid it is… Sorry for that!)
Real Terra Haze (RTH) users should read the “Known issues” section in the documentation very carefully. As both plugins change cloud rendering parameters during flight, a very annoying flickering of the clouds will happen. The documentation describes 2 ways to avoid it.
The minimum requirements are:
- X-Plane 10.51 (supposedly any other 10.xx version)
- FlyWithLua X-Plane 10 installed (current version). See for this the X-Plained.Com link.
- If you use Real Terra Haze (RTH), you need RTH version 4.0 (please read the “Known issues” section in the documentation about RTH!)
- X-Plane 11 users: I could not test the plugin with XP11, but many users reported it works well with X-Plane 11.01. You can download FlyWithLua X-Plane 11 via this link.
How to install:
- Simply drop 3jFPS-control.lua into your FlyWithLua scripts folder (…\X-Plane 10\Resources\plugins\FlyWithLua\Scripts\)
- if you use another auto-LOD plugin (e.g. AUTO_LOD1.3), you have to deactivate or remove it
- If you want to uninstall it then remove 3jFPS-control.lua from your FlyWithLua scripts folder, or rename it to “3jFPS-control.lua_DISABLED” e.g.
The basic idea of adapting the LOD-bias based on the current frame rate comes from AUTO_LOD1.3 by Gerhard from www.x-plane.at. Please visit his website for lots of extremely nice scenery (esp. Austrian airports), plugins, objects and so on!
I hope this plugin works for you too! Please leave some feedback, how it works for you and with your system!
PLEASE, if you have any QUESTIONS or PROBLEMS, don’t ask me in a review. It is not possible to reply to reviews. Use the COMMENTS tab first.
This plugin uses some unofficial control parameters (so called “DataRefs”) of X-Plane. Though this is kind of a hack and something a programmer should not do normally, I did it because the effect of the plugin is really cool.
These unofficial DataRefs are undocumented and can change with every release or update of X-Plane. So it is not guaranteed at all, that this plugin will work with later X-Plane versions. When you install this plugin, please keep that in mind and don’t blame the developers of X-Plane, FlyWithLua or me, if the above said should happen!
DONATION to Jörn-Jören Jörensön:
It took me many, many hours neglecting my job and tons of chocolate to keep me awake to program this plugin. I did it for fun and to give something to the great X-Plane community. If you really like my work and you have a few bucks to give, you’re very welcome to make a little donation via PayPal -> https://www.paypal.me/joeren.
This package is offered to you by X-Plained.Com. It is free for personal and/or private use. It is not allowed to copy, publish or redistribute any part of any file or package from this website without prior permission from X-Plained.Com or from the developer. Commercial use of the package or parts of it, is prohibited in any way.
Keep in mind that your maximum download per day is set to 15 files or packages a day.