The X-Plane 11 map looks quite a bit different than the map in X-Plane 10, but much of the same functionality is there. You can open the map by using the ‘m’ key, the icon in the top right corner of the menu, or from under the Flight menu.
- Use the Mode drop down menu to pick between three different types of map information, displaying items such as airways and ILS beacons.
- Use the Layers drop down to display clouds or precipitation on the map in real time.
- Check the boxes to toggle the flight path, a compass rose around your aircraft, or to disable downwind ILS beacons.
- Toggle the Glideslope Cross Section when flying approaches, which you can change with the Approach drop down menu.
- Use the buttons in the top left corner of the map to zoom in or out, center on your aircraft, and change whether the top of the map is north, or the direction your plane faces.
You can also click on almost any of the icons in the map to open the powerful Inspector window. Use this window to:
- View airport details such as conditions and communications frequencies.
- Move the plane to a new runway or set up a final approach.
- Tune NAV radios with a single button.
- Change your aircraft’s heading, altitude, speed or climb angle.